half datatype?

monarch_dodra monarchdodra at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 13:26:08 PST 2012

On Monday, 19 November 2012 at 19:14:43 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> On Monday, November 19, 2012 19:57:37 Manu wrote:
>> I also wanted to gauge the interest/opposition.
>
> I'd never even _heard_ of half types before this discussion
> came up. But then
> again, the same goes for SIMD.
>
> [SNIP]
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

What I find extremely interesting about D is how easy it is to do
extremely low level stuff.

ASM? Built-in. SIMD: You don't even realize you're doing it. In
C++, you have to jump through flaming loops to get that stuff
working.

I know where I'd go for my low level needs: Not C or C++ ;)

I think it could only benefit D to have the "full low level
package in a comprehensive high level language". It's been on a
winning run so far anyways (IMO).