Bret Victor - Inventing on Principle

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon Nov 19 17:19:19 PST 2012

Walter Bright:

>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUv66718DII
>
> Can you give us a summary or synopsis?

It's not easy to summarize it. Many talks are little more than
the slides they are based on, but this talk contains lot of
graphics and animation, it's really a talk that you have to see
if you want to appreciate its contents, because it's mostly about
visual ideas.

It discusses about using visualization to help design code and
program, and more. This talk is now famous, it was a start of a
little "revolution". After that talk many developments have
happened. Maybe even the future LightTable IDE was inspired a bit
by it. I have seen Khan and his academy software follow some of
the ideas contained in that talk to teach JavaScript, and then I
have seen another talk explain similar ideas better, and then
other people criticize it a lot.

In the end part of me likes those ideas, and part of me doesn't
like it. To teach things like StarLogo are in my opinion better
for newbie programmers, but that talk is not just about new
programmers. Some of those ideas are cool.

I have never linked this talk or the successive developments in
this newsgroup because it being good stuff to know for every
programmer, it's not much related to D and the not-interactive
style of programming it asks for.

Bye,
bearophile