Is there interest in a std.http?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Mon Nov 19 20:26:03 PST 2012

On 11/19/12 3:38 PM, Tyler Jameson Little wrote:
> I'd like to see an HTTP module in Phobos, but I wanted to gauge interest
> first and see if this has been discussed before.

I can say the following. We sorely need a server expert on board with
the time and inclination to write a good server-side networking
framework. We have a couple, but for various reasons I have been unable
to convince them (through newsgroup and private exchanges) to invest
time in such an endeavor. That's mostly because lack of time - speaking
for myself, I wish I found the time to learn about all that, which as
far as I understand gravitates around notions such as asynchronous I/O,
libevent/libevt, select(), and the such. I've never used them so I'd
need to start from scratch.

We really need an expert. Look at the Go programming language - it's not
remarkable, but it benefits of full-time dedication of experts in
server-side programming, so it has acquired excellent library support
for networking servers. And they milk that for all it's worth: any
discussion, article, or blog post about Go gravitates toward the
five-lines HTTP server with the same implacable reach as conversations
with ideologists, which inevitably converge towards their ideological
stronghold.

Andrei