The annoying D build system

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Mon Nov 19 23:27:31 PST 2012

On 2012-11-19 21:00, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> That's the name of the github project.

Yeah, but I haven't seen any other project that is actually dependent on
the name of its own folder.

> So if you have ideas on how to improve the above - great! Just don't
> fall for Chesterton's fence fallacy.

One solution that instantly pops in my mind is using git submodules.
Create a new repository, say "dlang", add the other repositories as git
submoduels to "dlang". Then the build system can do whatever it wants in
the "dlang" directory and its sub directories, but it shouldn't escape
the "dlang" directory.

Since Make is one of the worst thing I know, I'm not very enthusiastic
about improving the build system.

--
/Jacob Carlborg