__gshared implicitly convertible to shared?

Chris Nicholson-Sauls ibisbasenji at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 16:01:32 PST 2012

On Tuesday, 20 November 2012 at 19:15:01 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> Would it make sense to make it so that __gshared implicitly
> converted to
> shared? It's my understanding that the main purpose of
> __gshared is to be able
> to better interact with C code, but given the issues with
> shared, lots of
> people have just used __gshared instead of shared. This causes
> a problem in
> some cases. For instance, none of Mutex's functions are
> currently shared in
> spite of the fact that it really doesn't make sense to have a
> Mutex which is
> thread-local, but it can't have all of its functions be only
> shared, because
> then it wouldn't work with __gshared. That means that in order
> to work with
> both __gshared and shared, all of its functions must be
> duplicated, which is
> obviously less than ideal.
>
> So, given that __gshared is shared across threads like shared
> is (just with
> fewer protections), would it make sense to make it so that
> __gshared
> implicitly converts to shared? Then a type like Mutex which is
> intended to be
> shared, can just make all of its member functions shared, and
> it'll work with
> both __gshared and shared.
>
> It may also be necessary to make shared implicitly convert to
> __gshared for
> that to work cleanly (particularly when you get stuff like a
> member function
> returning a reference variable which then must be shared, even
> if the original
> variable were __gshared - because the function itself is
> shared), and I don't
> know how big a problem that would be. But I think that the
> basic idea of
> allowing implicit conversions at least from __gshared to shared
> (if not shared
> to __gshared) is worth exploring. Is there a major reason why
> it would be a
> bad idea? My experience with both is limited, and I may just be
> completely
> missing something here.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

I'm short on time, and so can't double-check the online docs or
the book, but as I recall (having never actually used
__gshared... yet) they differ in that shared is a type
constructor and __gshared is a declaration attribute.  So I'm
just not sure.  On the one hand, the compiler would always be
able to see that either the left or right side of an assignment
(or the inside of an argument list) includes a __gshared
variable, and could do the "right" thing...  But on the other
hand it would be an odd special case of a type qualifier being
cast away because of a variable's attribute.  Is this something
we want?  Or is it intended as a short-term workaround until
shared is more fully/correctly defined semantically?