DConf 2013 suggestion

John Colvin john.loughran.colvin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 18:16:08 PST 2012

On Thursday, 22 November 2012 at 22:35:35 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> On 11/21/2012 5:33 AM, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Now that we know that DConf 2013 is going to happen
>> (congratulations and thanks
>> to everyone!), I had a thought about how it might be possible
>> to give some extra
>> involvement to those who can't physically make it on this
>> occasion.
>>
>> Since there are already plans for the whole conference to be
>> videoed, how about
>> also making it possible for non-attendees to submit video
>> presentations?  These
>> could be made available via the conference website together
>> with comment threads
>> where the presenters could get feedback and discuss their work.
>>
>> A second possibility would be to allow people (whether
>> attending or not) to
>> submit proceedings articles.  If there's an interest in this,
>> and in seeing them
>> officially published (preferably in an open access venue), I
>> can put out some
>> queries to colleagues in academic publishing to see if we can
>> find a nice solution.
>>
>> What does everyone think?  The only doubt I have is that it
>> might tip the
>> balance in favour of non-attendance for some people who are
>> sitting on the fence
>> right now.
>
> If people want to submit videos and articles, yes, we can get
> them published on the conference site. I hadn't thought about a
> proceedings publication, but perhaps that can be done as an
> ebook.

I agree. This would be an interesting way to get a slightly more
formal insight in to the D community than the newsgroup and IRC.
Perhaps if some of the corporate/business guys were encouraged to
write something about their perspectives on D, that would be
particularly good.