compiler for ubuntu x86-64

Mark Morss cornstalk at columbus.rr.com
Fri Nov 23 09:56:45 PST 2012

Hello to all.  I have just purchased a copy of Andrei A's book on
D and I'm about halfway through it. I have some projects in mind
to which I would like to apply this very interesting language.

I am working on an 8-core machine with x86-64 chips and Ubuntu
10.04. Am I right that there is no dmd binary available for my
machine??  I only see i386 and amd64 options when I look at the
binary download options.

Apparently a build of dmd from source is impossible because the
dmd backend is proprietary?  (This would seem to me to be a
stumbling block to D's acceptance, but that is not my concern.)

There is an LLVM compiler, ldc, available via Ubuntu's package
manager.  Is this any good?

I would rather try out D than use some other options that I have.
However my experience with compiled languages has convinced me
that the efficiency of one's compiler, as well its ability
actually to implement everything that's supposed to be possible
in the given language, is a very significant concern.  I don't
want to get up to my elbows in D and discover that something
doesn't compile or doesn't execute so very well after being
compiled.

I seached the list for this concern and came up with nothing.
But I apologize if the Ubuntu x86-64 issue has already been
addressed.

Best to all.