WinAPI for druntime and OpenGL for deimos.

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 11:59:35 PST 2012

On 24 November 2012 21:32, Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 11/24/2012 10:45 AM, Manu wrote:
>
>> I'm regularly annoyed by the quality of the druntime windows bindigs. I
>> use this
>> one: http://www.dsource.org/**projects/bindings/wiki/**WindowsApi<http://www.dsource.org/projects/bindings/wiki/WindowsApi>
>> It's better.
>>
>> I don't think there's really any room for opinion on the topic, the
>> windows
>> bindings should simply be complete, and correct.
>> It's a flat C api, I can't imagine anything in there that doesn't
>> translate to D
>> well.
>>

> You can always simply add the ones you need to druntime, and issue a pull
> request.

Sure, but that's rather time consuming, and the other library I linked is
pretty decent.
I'm just supporting the case that more thorough support in druntime would
be warmly welcomed :)

As said before, the only details that might require some discussion are the
>> handling of the windows version macro, and the unicode macro.
>> I would personally just expect to use them exactly as they are in C, and
>> expect
>> the user to supply the appropriate versions to D when compiling.
>>

> I'd forget about the unicode macro, and call the A or W versions
> explicitly.

This causes rather annoying issues while porting, and tutorials becomes
obscured. Many novice programmers don't understand that most functions are
an alias of *A/*U, will be confused by the errors, and I even know many
programmers who don't understand what unicode is, therefore don't
understand the decision they are making.
I think the aliases are important, they allow tutorials and novice users to
continue to work effectively.