WinAPI for druntime and OpenGL for deimos.

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Sat Nov 24 15:24:42 PST 2012

On Saturday, 24 November 2012 at 23:11:35 UTC, Manu wrote:
> On 24 November 2012 23:36, Vladimir Panteleev
> <vladimir at thecybershadow.net>wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, 24 November 2012 at 18:49:02 UTC, Manu wrote:
>>
>>> Hear hear! I agree, it should just be cloned verbatim.
>>> I for one have 15+ years of expectation about WINAPI, I don't
>>> want to look
>>> in any manual/reference to relearn how to use it again.
>>>

>> This sentiment is overexaggerated and unhelpful. Please
>> provide an example
>> of what sorts of "relearning" you'd have to do.
>>

> I'm simply stating my sentiment that ANY change to WIN32 is a
> very very bad idea.

Reasoning in absolutes is not constructive.

> It invalidates existing code, and existing learning/reference
> material.

Please provide a concrete example.

> Not to mention how many programmers don't even know what
> unicode is (ie, the A/W alias argument).

I don't understand how this is relevant to this discussion.

> 'Relearning' in this instance might refer to
> learning/remembering what
> changes have been made.

Part of the goal is to minimize required changes in correct code.
Even in those cases (assuming they will even exist), the compiler
will produce a helpful error message (e.g expected type void*,
got HGLOBAL). The code can be easily fixed in a
backwards-compatible way by adding a cast.