WinAPI for druntime and OpenGL for deimos.

Regan Heath regan at netmail.co.nz
Mon Nov 26 03:30:25 PST 2012

On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 08:13:23 -0000, Vladimir Panteleev
<vladimir at thecybershadow.net> wrote:

> On Saturday, 24 November 2012 at 23:47:26 UTC, Manu wrote:
>> Well it's one of the changes in the existing implementation which I
>> totally
>> disagree with, for the reasons stated.
>
> Could you be more specific? Is it that the Unicode version is not set by
> default? Considering that Druntime does not support Windows 9x, the
> default should probably be changed to use the Unicode APIs in the
> Druntime bindings.

In the Win32 headers the ASCII version is the default and -DUNICODE
selects the UNICODE version.  e.g.

#ifdef UNICODE
#define CreateFile  CreateFileW
#else
#define CreateFile  CreateFileA
#endif // !UNICODE

But, this was for backward compatibility reasons primarily.

I believe it's more efficient to call the UNICODE versions on the more
modern windows operating systems.  So, based on the platform selected
(using _WIN32_WINNT or similar) we should default to the most appropriate
version.