Help!

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Nov 27 13:23:09 PST 2012

On 11/28/2012 5:25 AM, Max Samukha wrote:
> Please stop repeating that "will break lots of code" mantra. D user base
> is very small and it doesn't grow *because* issues like the one
> discussed do not get fixed. When they are fixed people may start using
> the language. And *then* you would have to worry about backward
> compatibility. Look at the recent Manu's complaints and see what people
> who would really use the language have wanted from it for years.

I understand what you're saying, but the counterpoint is we lost half
the D community when D2 broke D1 code. We still have at least one major
D1 user that still finds it impractical to upgrade to D2.

It is unbelievably frustrating for people to have their code break with
each new release, have older projects all invalidated, with few willing
to do the maintenance work to bring them back on line.