Help!

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Tue Nov 27 23:55:20 PST 2012

On 2012-11-27 22:23, Walter Bright wrote:

> I understand what you're saying, but the counterpoint is we lost half
> the D community when D2 broke D1 code. We still have at least one major
> D1 user that still finds it impractical to upgrade to D2.

That was more an issue of how the community and project were run (or
rather not run). Not the actual code breakage.

> It is unbelievably frustrating for people to have their code break with
> each new release, have older projects all invalidated, with few willing
> to do the maintenance work to bring them back on line.

I think it's just as unbelievably frustrating to freeze a language at a
given point without thinking of the implications. Or declaring that a
language cannot receive any more breaking changes when it's far from
done and many things aren't working properly.

I cannot believe how you could consider D stable when your adding new
features directly to the master branch willy nilly. A book was released
way, way too soon for a language far from ready.

This is mostly a problem about how the project is run and managed. No
road map, a poor release process, committing new features directly to
the master branch. Unstable features added, added even before they're
can be considered finished. I mean, "const" was one of the first things
added to D2, it still has problems and druntime/Phobos is still not
const correct.

We have complained before, quite often Andrei agrees that several things
need to be changed but it's not much that happens.

--
/Jacob Carlborg