Breaking D2 language/spec changes with D1 being discontinued in a month

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Wed Nov 28 00:01:01 PST 2012

On 2012-11-28 08:17, SiegeLord wrote:

> With that kind of attitude D2 will never stabilize.
>
> I remember two years ago I was told that once TDPL was published, the
> language would become stable. Two years later everything is just as in
> flux as it was back then.

TDPL was release way, way too soon. It was written before many of the
features were even implemented. Then at a later stage "Whoops, this
apparently doesn't work, we need to break TDPL".

The welcome fixation of bugs is befouled with
> deliberate code breakage left and right. There is absolutely no
> guarantee of backwards compatibility between DMD versions. This
> situation is simply unheard of. Vast majority of respectable software
> inititives provide a stable version that guarantees source and possibly
> binary compatibility, and an unstable version that does not. They use
> versioning schemes where a match of some part of the version number
> assures compatibility.

I think all this is mostly a project management issue. I don't think the
breaking changes in them self is the biggest problem. See my post in
another thread:

http://forum.dlang.org/thread/mailman.2250.1353947827.5162.digitalmars-d@puremagic.com?page=5#post-k94g19:2427kh:241:40digitalmars.com

--
/Jacob Carlborg