Breaking D2 language/spec changes with D1 being discontinued in a month

SiegeLord none at none.com
Wed Nov 28 00:40:32 PST 2012

On Wednesday, 28 November 2012 at 08:01:02 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
wrote:

> I think all this is mostly a project management issue. I don't
> think the breaking changes in them self is the biggest problem.

After years of using D1 and D2, I've lowered my expectations
about what can be changed for the better with D as long as the
current captains are at the helm. You can change the language,
but you can't change the person. Yes, ultimately if the project
was managed better the code breaking issue would be mitigated for
free, but that's not happening. Bad management is one of the
invariants of D's history.

Given that invariant, I just want a tiny concession... I want my
code not to break with every new version of DMD. If some breaking
change must be introduced, I want ample warning, preferrably in
the form of a compillation warning or a deprecation message, so I
don't have to scamper to fix my code in a few weeks/days after
each DMD release, but have the leisure to do it over a release
cycle.

A quick aside about D1... it in fact has amazing stability. I
recently compiled Kenta Cho's D games which were written before D
1.0... I only had to make a few changes here and there for it to
compile with the most recent DMD1. Far less than the amount of
changes I had to make when upgrading from 2.059 to 2.060 with the
D2 codebase I maintain (Tango D2 and my personal projects). With
D1 being discontinued, it is clear where the priorities lie...
definitely not on stability of people's code.

And before people come and say that they have thousands of D2
commercial code that they don't mind breaking every release...
let me suggest that perhaps for every 1 of you, there are 99
others who don't care for such nonsense?