Help!

Max Samukha maxsamukha at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 03:00:30 PST 2012

On Tuesday, 27 November 2012 at 21:26:47 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 11/28/2012 8:23 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
>> It is unbelievably frustrating for people to have their code
>> break with
>> each new release, have older projects all invalidated, with
>> few willing
>> to do the maintenance work to bring them back on line.
>

> Note the thread next to this one: "Errors compiling DSSS", and
> the advice to abandon it.

It looks I am living in a parallel reality. In my world, DSSS has
been abandoned for 4(!) years already! The author quit long
before D2 feature-freeze was announced. There are a couple of
forks but they do not seem to be maintained either. Why would
anyone expect an unmaintained project like that to compile with
new versions of an evolving language?

Most open source projects die. Students get jobs. That happens.
Even the "stable" dmd1 is unlikely to compile any abandoned
project at dsource. dsource itself is down more often than not.
Should we keep them on life support?