Breaking D2 language/spec changes with D1 being discontinued in a month

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed Nov 28 04:41:05 PST 2012

On 11/28/2012 7:40 PM, SiegeLord wrote:
> A quick aside about D1... it in fact has amazing stability. I recently
> compiled Kenta Cho's D games which were written before D 1.0... I only
> had to make a few changes here and there for it to compile with the most
> recent DMD1. Far less than the amount of changes I had to make when
> upgrading from 2.059 to 2.060 with the D2 codebase I maintain (Tango D2
> and my personal projects). With D1 being discontinued, it is clear where
> the priorities lie... definitely not on stability of people's code.

On the other hand, many people were unhappy with my position of "no
breaking changes at all outside of clear bug fixes" to D1, which also
implied "no language enhancements". There were many enhancements to the
code generation, new platforms, etc., and many CTFE improvements (which
I more or less regarded as bug fixing). There were also no changes
allowed that affected binary compatibility.

D1 isn't going away - it isn't going to be removed from the servers,
etc. It's just not going to be officially supported anymore.