code review and continuous integration (gerrit+jenkins)

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Wed Nov 28 04:59:55 PST 2012

On 2012-11-28 11:39, Thomas Koch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> regarding the current discussion of D's stability. Are you all aware of the
> awesomeness provided by todays toolset for QA?
>
> Take for example Gerrit + Jenkins: Every commit is first sent to Gerrit.
> Gerrit triggers Jenkins to run all unit tests over the new commit. Jenkins
> reports the result back to Gerrit. If all tests are green and another
> developer gives his "Looks good to me" (lgtm) then the commit is applied to
> the target branch.
>
> http://vimeo.com/20084957
> search google videos for "git gerrit"!
>
> I believe that no large software project should be done anymore without a
> comparable setup. The tools are free software and easy to use. It's just
> work to do the initial setup. If such a setup exists, everybody should
> contribute unit tests for the language features he relies on.
>
> Gerrit is like githubs pull request for adults with the option to integrate
> other systems like a continuous integration server (jenkins, buildbot, ...).

I agree. There's another CI server called Travis. It's for open source
projects and they'll host/run the test for you. This makes it very easy
to get started with. They use git hooks to trigger builds/tests.
Although you can use any language I plan to add support for D out of the
box.

https://travis-ci.org/

BTW, we do have a custom built CI server running the test suite on DMD,
druntime and Phobos + all pull request for these projects.

http://d.puremagic.com/test-results/
http://d.puremagic.com/test-results/pulls.ghtml

--
/Jacob Carlborg