Breaking D2 language/spec changes with D1 being discontinued in a month

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed Nov 28 05:35:55 PST 2012

On 11/29/2012 12:15 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> Many people has also talked about something in between D1 and D2, D1.5
> or similar. Which would contain bug fixes and new backwards compilable
> changes.

The trouble with that is now I'd be maintaining 3 versions of the
compiler rather than two.

Here's what happens nearly all the time. People create a pull request
for a fix to D2. I don't just pull it, I review it and see if it is a
fix that should be propagated to D1. If it is, I have to manually merge
it into D1 (as the sources have substantially diverged by now). This
gets fairly time consuming. Check the D1 commits labeled along the lines
of "merge D2 pull #nnnn".

Only a relatively small handful of times has anyone submitted a
corresponding pull request for D1.

Adding a 3rd compiler to do this to is a large time sink.

I can see creating a stable D2 and a forward D2 for 6 months at a time
or so, as has been proposed here. I think that's a good idea. But only
after D1 is no longer supported.