Breaking D2 language/spec changes with D1 being discontinued in a month

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Nov 28 09:53:11 PST 2012

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 01:43:53PM +0100, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2012-11-28 12:48, Manu wrote:
> >I think the best approach is one that others have suggested, 2
> >branches, 'stable' which is maintained for 6-12 months, and only
> >receives non-breaking fixes after they've been tested for a while,
> >and 'dev', which users accept may receive breaking changes at any
> >time. Those users will be happy to adapt their code as the language
> >moves forward, as I am.
>
> I completely agree, it's not rocket science.
[...]

+1.

And with the code repo in git, this is not hard to do at all.

And here's a further suggestion: somebody else other than Walter should
maintain the 'stable' branch, so that Walter can continue working on
bleeding-edge stuff, without having to split his time with maintaining
yet another branch. Preferably have a team of 2 or 3 who track the
'unstable' git commits, and decide which ones are safe to pull into the
'stable' branch.

"I'm not childish; I'm just in touch with the child within!" - RL