Errors compiling DSSS

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Wed Nov 28 11:39:53 PST 2012

On 11/28/12 2:20 PM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2012-11-28 17:23, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>
>> I disagree.
>
> How would you handle the following with your comments:
>
> * Platform specific flags * Adding/ignoring certain files * Invoking
> separate build systems to handle foreign languages * Different flags
> for debug and release builds
>
> That's just mentioning a few cases.
>
> Also, in which source file would you put these special comments?

The tool would have inherent limitations. What I disagree with is this
umbrella statement:

> What's needed
> is a proper build tool. That includes build scripts that can be
> written in a full blow language.

I recall you have written such a tool (Orbit), so it is natural to have
a vested interest in promoting it and argue for its usefulness. Such
arguments don't eliminate the need for simpler tools that obviate
Orbit's use for a subset of cases.

Andrei