Breaking D2 language/spec changes with D1 being discontinued in a month

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Nov 28 17:28:59 PST 2012

On Thursday, November 29, 2012 02:13:10 deadalnix wrote:
> On Thursday, 29 November 2012 at 01:06:15 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > I think ultimately, as Walter has said, nothing is going to
> > change
> > unless somebody steps up to the plate and champions the effort
> > to make a
> > stable branch. Writing up proposals, specs, and other docs are
> > good in
> > theory, but won't accomplish a thing if nobody actually *does*
> > anything
> > about it. I think 1100110 has stepped up to make a stable
> > branch; let's
> > work with him to make it actually happen.
>
> I'm sorry, but I don't see how a champion can prevent stuff to be
> dropped directly into master, unless going to some extreme and
> sequestrate people, which is illegal in most countries.

Since master will almost certainly be the development branch, I don't see how
that's a problem. The stable branch will be a separate branch, and whoever is
managing the stable branch will merge stuff from the master branch into it.

Granted, major stuff like 64-bit Windows support and UDAs should probably be
introduced on branches separate from master, and it's still a problem if
they're not, but it won't affect the stable branch if they're not.

- Jonathan M Davis