Breaking D2 language/spec changes with D1 being discontinued in a month

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 11:17:52 PST 2012

11/29/2012 11:08 PM, Joseph Rushton Wakeling пишет:
> On 11/28/2012 08:02 PM, 1100110 wrote:
>> A new module in Phobos is highly unlikely to break anything, So I
>> would assume
>> that this would count as a simple bug fix and be merged.
>
> I don't really see that.  Yes, new functionality _per se_ is not going
> to break anything, but its implementation may be affected by breaking
> changes to D.  So, if you want to bring something new to Phobos, you may
> have to write 2 variants (for stable and dev) or else put up with your
> new functionality being excluded from stable until the breaking changes
> to D are merged in.

I concur. Phobos is unstable in so much as compiler changes. So is true
for the other libraries.
It would be my understanding that all project should rather use stable
branch. Only those willing to try things out should use unstable and/or
maintain 2 branches. But then unstable might not get enough test coverage.

--
Dmitry Olshansky