The future of UDAs.

foobar foo at bar.com
Thu Nov 29 12:27:47 PST 2012

On Thursday, 29 November 2012 at 14:17:40 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 11/29/12 6:44 AM, foobar wrote:
>> On Thursday, 29 November 2012 at 10:25:40 UTC, Walter Bright
>> wrote:

>>> Because attributes attach to the declarations they enclose. A
>>> global
>>> attribute would be something else.
>>
>> What's wrong with attaching the annotation to the module
>> declaration?
>> i.e.
>> @no_circular_ctors module foobar;
>
> I think this entire approach is unprincipled (aside from
> solving a problem that's not urgent and not important). We
> shouldn't focus on the _syntax_ of the completely unprincipled
> approach, but instead on improving it.
>
> A possibly better approach would be e.g. to do a simple
> analysis of the static constructor's use of symbols, and use
> that set to decide whether two static constructors must be
> ordered or not.
>

> Andrei

Huh?
I made the exact same observation you did that module
declarations can also carry attributes. You completely ignored
the main part of my post regarding what I feel would indeed be a
better approach (IMO).

I don't understand why you bother to answer a post you haven't
bothered to read.