UDA + Pegged AST Hack

Rob T rob at ucora.com
Thu Nov 29 12:55:36 PST 2012

On Thursday, 29 November 2012 at 00:16:28 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> Can someone remember me why this ended up in master ? This
> feature is clearly not ready.

Please, read this thread, esp towards the end.

"Breaking D2 language/spec changes with D1 being discontinued in
a month"

The current lack of a sane development and release process is
messing up a lot of people like myself. I cannot take D seriously
for commercial usage if I cannot rely on at least 3 versions of
the compiler. We need one for stable, another for testing/release
candidate (these two I would rely on), and a 3rd for adding in
new stuff for the compiler + lib devs. However there probably
should be a forth "experimental" branch for people like Walter
who perform experimental work, such as the spontaneous
introduction of UDA's.

Debian follows a similar system, and is a clear real-world
example of a very good development and release process.

Currently, I'm concluding that I simply cannot rely on D for
anything but experimental tinkering, which means back to C++ for
the commercial work that I do for a living, and that's a real
shame! D has a lot of potential, but it's being undermined by a
willy-nilly process, which honestly speaking boils down to
decisions being made by the current management at the helm.

--rt