Breaking D2 language/spec changes with D1 being discontinued in a month

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Nov 29 14:11:54 PST 2012

On Thursday, November 29, 2012 22:01:46 Rob T wrote:
> On Thursday, 29 November 2012 at 20:54:33 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
>
> wrote:
> > On 2012-11-29 17:12, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> >> Didn't Walter already say that if somebody steps up to do it,
> >> he would
> >> endorse it?
> >
> > Not what I've seen. At least not something more in those words.
>
> What's needed is a core team of decision makers who have real
> decision making abilities. There's a reason why dictatorships
> usually perform poorly relative to other more advanced systems of
> decision making.

The benevolent dictator model is quite common in open source software
development. There needs to be a team to support that if you want to really be
a team project rather than one person's pet project, and it's not like the
dictator decides everything, but having one person with the final say can be
very beneficial.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benevolent_Dictator_For_Life

But as it stands, there's plenty of decision making that goes on outside of
Walter with regards to Phobos. In fact, he's not involved with Phobos much at
all at this point. It's really just the language and the compiler over which
Walter exercises that level of control.

- Jonathan M Davis