Breaking D2 language/spec changes with D1 being discontinued in a month

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Nov 29 17:27:34 PST 2012

On Friday, November 30, 2012 01:21:06 Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> On 11/29/12, Rob T <rob at ucora.com> wrote:
> > Seriously, how many years has the D community been operating in
> > this way, 10 or more?
>
> Not really, the D team switched to Git only recently (maybe 1+ years
> now?). Imo what's really lacking is (wo)manpower, not the process
> (which can of course always be improved).

And D2 has only been around for about 5 years. Things have change a lot over
time - particularly with the introduction of github. We have _far_ more
community involvement than we used to. But the process definitely still needs
improvement (e.g. we need to actually take advantage of git's branching
capabilities). But historically, the main problem has always been a lack of
manpower, and that's still an issue. It's just not as big an issue as it used
to be.

If anything the problems with the current process stem from moving to github
and getting more contributors. A lot of how the process has worked worked just
fine with svn and fewer people. But the project is growing and we need to
adjust.

- Jonathan M Davis