D Stable Proposal

1100110 0b1100110 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 23:05:09 PST 2012

On 11/30/2012 12:31 AM, Rob T wrote:
> On Friday, 30 November 2012 at 06:05:51 UTC, 1100110 wrote:
>>> Take for example Gerrit + Jenkins: Every commit is first sent to Gerrit.
>>> Gerrit triggers Jenkins to run all unit tests over the new commit.
>>> Jenkins
>>> reports the result back to Gerrit. If all tests are green and another
>>> developer gives his "Looks good to me" (lgtm) then the commit is
>>> applied to
>>> the target branch.
>>
>> How would this fit into the Stable model?
>>
>> Assuming 3 branches, I doubt it would be prudent to run every test
>> multiple times.
>> Ideas?
>
> I'm pretty much done for the day, so will look what you wrote up in
> detail tomorrow.
>
> One quick suggestion before I call it a day, is for there to be an
> "experimental branch" for the great minds behind D to play around with
> (eg UDA's etc). We probably don't want experimental stuff going directly
> into a branch that is destined for stable. Unstable should be for items
> that are relatively finalized in terms of design and agreement that the
> concept is to be eventually incorporated into stable, i.e., moving a new
> feature into unstable starts the refinement process towards a stable
> release of that feature.
>
> We could say that individual forks are good for experimental work, so
> there's no need for an official experimental branch, however, that will
> leave out the unconnected people who may want to tinker with the latest
> and greatest ideas that are being worked on.
>
> I don't know really, this is just something I'm tossing out for
> consideration. Debian has an experimental branch, and I have a lot of
> respect for what that organization has achieved, so it's probably there
> for a good reason.
>
> --rt

Hmmm...  You can easily see the available branches in git, so I'm not
quite sure if this would be a good idea..

This might be where the metaphor breaks down.
We should definitely look at Debian as a successful, widely-used stable
system, but we shouldn't simply copy them.

I can't think of a good reason to do this right now.

Good idea though, I hadn't even considered that myself.