Errors compiling DSSS

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Thu Nov 29 23:52:54 PST 2012

On 2012-11-29 22:45, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

>> # Build script in Ruby
>>
>> target :foo do
>> end
>
> You should picture that this doesn't make any sense to someone not
> knowing Ruby (beyond a possible misspelling of "voodoo").

That would look like this in D :

target("foo", {

});

> I don't understand how this comparison works (but maybe that's not
> important).

I'm just showing how to handle the Ruby code in D.

> Money has nothing to do with it.

It has everything to do with it.

1. I want to live
2. To live I need to eat
3. Food cost money
4. To make money I need to work
5. I don't use D in my work
6. I basically need to work eight hours a day
7. And I need to sleep eight hours a night
8. As said, I need to eat and do other things as well that take time
9. Not much time left for D

If I could use D in my work or even better by job was to work on these D
projects I could get things done a lot sooner.

It has everything to do with money.

> It's your time. Why work on something
> that may be successful instead of something that will definitely not be?

These comments will more than definitely not be successful.

> You have been pushing for Ruby ever since build and distro tools came
> about. Drop Ruby. I know you like it. But it's not going to work here.
> Just drop it.

I said a build tool need to support build scripts written in a full
blown language. I mentioned Ruby, Python and D. I don't know where Ruby
was brought into the discussion.

> It is better because it's only requiring the shell

That doesn't matter. What's matter is what comes pre-installed on a
given operating system. Since this will only run on Mac OS X and Mac OS
X comes pre-installed with Ruby there's no problem.

  and understanding of
> shell scripting instead of yet another language.

Shell script is yet another language and a quite horrible one. I mean, I
can't have spaces around the equal sign when assigning a variable.

>Everyone building stuff on Unix would know the shell.

Fair enough.

> Just so it's clear what we're talking about:
>
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/installer/blob/master/osx/make.rb

I know.

> This is a good example of gratuitous use of Ruby in a framework that
> ALREADY uses a makefile AND a shell script. I actually have the rewrite
> of this to a shell script somewhere, I found it so needless that I sat
> down and figured whether there's any advantage to not using the shell
> there.

No, there's no advantage of not using the shell. The Ruby script mostly
call shell command and other commands anyway. I just don't like shell
script.

>> Yeah I do know that you prefer shell scripts
>> over Ruby.
>
> It's not me, it's you. You prefer Ruby over the more sensible shell
> scripting for this case.
>
>> But you're arguing that I should use D instead of Ruby and
>> then you're going to use shell script.
>
> Drop Ruby.

Now you're just mean.

--