D Stable Proposal

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 00:22:46 PST 2012

OK, first debian system is not suitable for a programing language
IMO. They have to solve the exact opposite problem than ours :
debian relies on programs, programs rely on programming languages.

Second doing that in a separate project, with people volunteering
in it is a bad idea. This increase the workload instead of
decreasing it. It is beneficial for D users, but not beneficial
for D devellopers, and as it is a open source project where
people participate on their free time, I don't think this will
work. Anyway, I don't want to discourage you because if it does
work, this is awesome. I'd love to be proven wrong on that one,
so if you believe in it, go for it !

Secondly, some people were talking about roadmap, people in
charge and everything. This is required for very important task,
but likely to fail again on a project where people participate on
their free time.

It would be much more beneficial to improve what occasional dev
on D can do to help. We have to allow people to work on the stuff
they moticate them ATM : fix a bug that occurs in their programs,
learn some new area of programming, or whatever.

Such thing is easier to do on something stable. Currently, to
work on D, you need to know what is the current state of thing,
what is the intended state, why isn't it tat way (historical
reasons, difficulties of implementations, etc . . .) and new
feature addition tend to continue this situation (as new bugs are
introduced hen other are removed, and real profound issue get
harder to solve).

This is important because even if you don't use the new
functionality, you don't get rid of the bugs. They'll manifest
themselves because 3rd party code will use such feature.