D Stable Proposal

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Fri Nov 30 05:10:16 PST 2012

On 11/30/2012 05:30 AM, 1100110 wrote:
> A few of the requests were:(in no specific order)
> Base Update and Upgrade paths on successful projects, such as Debian's
> Three branches.

To be honest, I don't think that what is needed is a detailed proposal for the
branch structure etc.  There are only so many ways you can do it, after all, and
the details don't matter so much as long as an effective stable version comes
out of it.

What _is_ needed is to get people committed to actually doing the work to
maintain a stable version.  Once you have the people, they can work out the
details for themselves.

> I can also include specific versions of LDC and GDC (and any other compiler
> willing to target a release.)

I think that before bringing LDC/GDC into the equation, it would help if we got
to the point where the frontend was genuinely portable, as discussed e.g. here:
http://forum.dlang.org/post/mailman.1565.1352137245.5162.d.gnu@puremagic.com