Deprecated Library Functions / Methods

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Fri Nov 30 09:27:27 PST 2012

There have been quite a few changes since 2.051 and I cannot
stick to that version, because I would introduce more deprecated
code. I wanted to update my code but saw in the library that
again loads of methods were scheduled for deprecation. So what's
the point?

Changes are necessary and I think they are reasonable (like the
regex algorithm), but as a developer who uses D, you need some
sort of security, i.e. that your code won't break in a few
months' time. I really appreciate the fantastic work on D, but
sometimes it seems to me like a "code laboratory" where
programmers test certain ideas, algorithms, approaches etc, which
would be fine for a college project. But if you have to use and
work with the library to develop real world applications, it's a
nightmare. If this doesn't change, I fear D will never take off.
Most frameworks at least "tolerate" deprecated functions until
developers have time to update their code.