Dangling if

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Oct 1 09:42:39 PDT 2012

On Monday, October 01, 2012 17:38:42 foobar wrote:
> > P.S. #1 reason to hate languages which don't use braces:
> > there's no way in vim
> > to hop to the beginning or end of a scope block (or function)
> > from the other
> > end. And _man_ is that annoying. God bless braces.
>
> That would be an issue with your editor of choice not the
> languages in question - I'm sure there are more suitable
> editors/IDEs for such languages which are indent aware (as well
> as scripts that add that functionality for vim).

It's built in to be able to hop between matching parens and braces and
whatnot. Indention just doesn't work with that. You'd have to something
completely different to be able to hop around in a lanugage without braces.

And I'd rather have an editor that can do everything that vim can do than use
a glorified notepad like most IDEs are. Most programmers don't use their
keyboard to navigate through code because their editors are too primitive to
do it.

I have _nothing_ good to say about languages which choose to be indentation-
sensitive, completely aside from editor issues. It's just that the editor
issues made it so that instead of just not liking the idea, I now absolutely
hate it.

- Jonathan M Davis