Idea: Introduce zero-terminated string specifier

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Tue Oct 2 05:58:35 PDT 2012

On 10/2/12 4:09 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
>> Does it make sense for Phobos to provide such a shortcut in an obscure
>> header somewhere? Like std.cstring? Or should we just say "roll your own
>> if you need it"?
>
> As a matter of principle, I really don't like gobs of Phobos functions
> that are literally one liners. Phobos should not become a mile wide but
> inch deep library of trivia. It should consist of non-trivial, useful,
> and relatively deep functions.

Well there are some possible reasons. Clearly useful functionality
that's nontrivial deserves being abstracted in a function. On the other
hand, even a short function is valuable if frequent enough and deserving
of a name. We have e.g. s.strip even though it's equivalent to
s.stripLeft.stripRight.

Andrei