Debian packages for D libraries

Rob T rob at ucora.com
Wed Oct 3 10:44:23 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, 3 October 2012 at 17:18:44 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> I'm kinda on the fence about this one, mainly because dmd and
> gdc have
> different command-line syntaxes. Yes gdc has a compatibility
> mode, but
> that's not its "native" syntax. Ideally the symlink should
> point to
> executables that have more-or-less the same command-line
> syntax. It
> would suck if build scripts start failing just because you
> updated the
> symlink to a different compiler.

DMD and GDC are not drop in replacements for each other due to
the differences, so a common symlink is IMO a bad idea right now.
Even if your build scripts were able to deal with a compiler
switch from DMD to/from CDC, the linking part will fail unless
everything being linked was rebuilt using the now current
compiler.

--rt