Will the D GC be awesome?

Peter Alexander peter.alexander.au at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 14:33:10 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, 3 October 2012 at 21:31:52 UTC,
DypthroposTheImposter wrote:
>  But can the D GC ever be made:
>
> 1. precise
> 2. able to scale to large-ish data set(2gig+)
> 3. No long stalls(anything over a couple millisecond(<3))
>
> Q. Curious, would it be compacting?

I believe all these things are being worked on, or at least
planned.

> Which leaves me with structs, and lets just say D struct are
> not impressive--

Why?

> * Oh and on a totally unrelated note, D needs Multiple return
> values. Lua has it, it's awesome. D doesn't want to be left out
> does it?

It doesn't need them, but it might be nice. In the meantime you
can use out params.

> * OpCmp returning an int is fugly I r sad

Maybe, but it does make things easier to implement.

> * why is haskell so much shorter syntax, can D get that nice
> syntax plssssssssss

Using C-family syntax makes D feel more at home to C/C++/Java/C#
programmers. A lot of people are scared off by Haskell's syntax
because it is so unusual.