D3 suggestion: rename "range" to "sequence"

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Wed Oct 3 22:51:59 PDT 2012

On Thu, 04 Oct 2012 05:33:31 +0200
"Bernard Helyer" <b.helyer at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, 4 October 2012 at 03:10:56 UTC, Alex Rønne Petersen
> wrote:
> > Look, not to sound dismissive, but D3 is not a thing and likely
> > will never be.
>
> Well _I'll_ be dismissive. This idea, even if we were doing
> the D3 thing, is completely pointless. D != maths. I don't
> know why I have to point that out, but here we are! :P

It's interesting that the connection between math and programming
tends to lead some to consider math stuff more "proper" (maybe because
it came first?) and programming more in need of being changed to
conform.

I think math could use to take a page from
programming...specifically the first page of any "intro to programming"
book. Ie, the part where it goes over proper variable naming ;)

Here's the difference between programmers and mathematicians:

A programmer and a mathematician walk into a lab. The programmer says,
"Oops, I've run out of letters for variables! I think I'll use readable
words." The mathematician had his own solution, but it was Greek
to me.

Nyuk nyuk nyuk.

(Hey, whaddya expect? I'm a programmer, not a comedian!)