The sorry state of the D stack?

Thomas Koch thomas at koch.ro
Sat Oct 6 04:54:11 PDT 2012

Hi,

the subject refers to my current state of sadness after trying to dig into D
programming for a few days. I've been very exited after reading "The D
programming language", but I've doubts now.

- There's no "standard" library to read a single character from the console.
Instead people write their own personal helper libraries.

- I looked into GtkD, which refers to the build tool DSSS. However DSSS
seems to be unmaintained for a couple of years. (Why does every new language
needs its own build tool?)

- I looked for a PostgreSQL client library. I found small personal hacks and
dead projects.

- I looked at http://www.dsource.org/forums - most forums are dead.

Is it possible that D is a dead language? For a newbie like me it would be
very helpful to have a list of good, healthy projects for my first steps in
D instead of finding cadavers all around. Typesafe, the company behind
Scala, maintains a "Typesafe Stack" of active, recommendable projects.

Please don't be offended by this message. I just wanted to provide feedback
and will keep trying to get into D. Thank you very much for this wonderful
language!

Best regards, Thomas Koch