RFC: DConf 2013

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sat Oct 6 19:51:23 PDT 2012

On 10/6/12 7:20 PM, Era Scarecrow wrote:
> At some conventions you could get a discount if you mentioned you were
> part of the group, but if this group isn't large enough to warrant that
> kind of attention then perhaps something else.
>
> Perhaps at no cost find/contact a few hotels and that are willing to
> give discounts (aren't far from the site and reasonably priced) and list
> them as preferred options for lodging.

That does indeed work, but the hotels offer a discount rate for a
guaranteed minimum attendance. For example (numbers in the ballpark), we
could get 20% off if we guarantee occupancy of 40 rooms for 3 nights.

The converse problem is that if we can't meet the minimum we still need
to pay them.

Andrei