SQL working [ was Re: The sorry state of the D stack? ]

nazriel spam at dzfl.pl
Sun Oct 7 02:40:24 PDT 2012

On Sunday, 7 October 2012 at 09:07:39 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
>> > personal hacks and
>> > dead projects.
>>
>> https://github.com/denizzzka/dpq2
>>
>> This is my personal project but it is not dead, and I am
>> determined to see it through. At the moment, it is quite
>> suitable to be used in simple situations. Compiles without
>> warnings by dmd 2.060, also it can be used with rdmd.
>>
>> I really need users, comments, suggestions, bug reports and
>> commits.
>
> Why only PostgreSQL. Shouldn't it also work with MySQL, Oracle,
> DB2,
> PervasiveSQL, SQLite3, etc.?

Probably if someones needs work to be done in ie PostreSQL won't
care about other DBMS at the time of being.

There are other projects for Database handling.

- There is SQLd [http://github.com/robik/sqld], that focus on
multiple database drivers. Some designs flaws are inherited from
SQLAlchemy. Looks promising.
- There is DBMI on DSource. I am not 100% sure if it works with
D2 tho (but porting should be rather trivial).
- Many, many other projects like that shattered on
Github/BitBucket/DSource(?)

> From the example I assume that this is just a library for
> managing
> connections and that everything else is just string-based SQL
> statements. Groovy's and Python's lowest level is roughly the
> same.
> However on top of these are expression languages in Groovy /
> Python so
> as to remove the reliance on string processing, i.e. use an
> internal DSL
> to do all the SQL stuff. For Python this is SQLAlchemy, for
> Groovy it
> will hopefully be GSQL. I am sure Scala and C++ have something
> similar?
>
> So I guess the question is how to ensure this all works with
> all SQL
> systems and how to put an abstraction layer over this to avoid
> all the
> error prone string manipulation?

Probably because of reason I mentioned before.
But yeah, after first glance it looks like project ready for some
bigger tasks