SQL working [ was Re: The sorry state of the D stack? ]

Piotr Szturmaj bncrbme at jadamspam.pl
Sun Oct 7 02:44:33 PDT 2012

Russel Winder wrote:
>>> personal hacks and
>>> dead projects.
>>
>> https://github.com/denizzzka/dpq2
>>
>> This is my personal project but it is not dead, and I am
>> determined to see it through. At the moment, it is quite suitable
>> to be used in simple situations. Compiles without warnings by dmd
>> 2.060, also it can be used with rdmd.
>>
>> I really need users, comments, suggestions, bug reports and
>> commits.
>
> Why only PostgreSQL. Shouldn't it also work with MySQL, Oracle, DB2,
> PervasiveSQL, SQLite3, etc.?

I wrote a PostgreSQL client too, but I also want to make MySQL and
SQlite clients/wrappers and release them all at once. This is because I
want to create uniform DB interface, and it must be suited for all
database systems. I started with PostgreSQL because it's most complex of
the three, for instance it supports array and struct fields.

>  From the example I assume that this is just a library for managing
> connections and that everything else is just string-based SQL
> statements. Groovy's and Python's lowest level is roughly the same.
> However on top of these are expression languages in Groovy / Python so
> as to remove the reliance on string processing, i.e. use an internal DSL
> to do all the SQL stuff. For Python this is SQLAlchemy, for Groovy it
> will hopefully be GSQL. I am sure Scala and C++ have something similar?

As you've said, additional DSL/Abstract layer must be on built on the
string based library. We should finish that first.