The sorry state of the D stack?

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Sun Oct 7 04:26:01 PDT 2012

On 2012-10-07 00:14, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

> I don't know about the rest of DSSS as I only ever used the
> 'rebuild' component. But as for rebuild, there are problems:
>
> For one thing, 0.76 is generally considered to work much better than
> 0.77 and the final version, 0.78 (I forget the details, but a lot
> of people including me have had problems with 0.78 that never showed up
> with 0.76). But despite that, read-made builds aren't available for
> 0.76. As DSSS is dead none of this is likely to get fixed. And
> there's no reason to fix rebuild since RDMD is a superior and non-dead
> alternative to rebuild.

I'm still using 0.75, when I'm using it.

> Also, rebuild is slow, even with "one at a time" disabled. Try
> compiling DVM with the included rebuild-based script and the
> RDMD-based one. It takes a fair amount of time with rebuild
> (even with "one at a time" off), but with RDMD it's almost instant.

I'm well aware that RDMD is a lot faster than Rebuild.

> There's no reason for anyone to use rebuild anymore, and very few
> people do.

Maybe not only Rebuild, but DSSS offers more than RDMD. DSSS supports
building libraries, build files, generating documentation and other
features. With RDMD you must likely need a shell script for the build
flags. Shell scripts aren't cross-platform which means you need a .bat
file on Windows. That will result in duplication which is not good.

> So does RDMD, unless I'm mistaken.

Yes, but there are still reasons to use DSSS for D1, see above.

--
/Jacob Carlborg