SQL working [ was Re: The sorry state of the D stack? ]

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sun Oct 7 10:06:14 PDT 2012

On Sunday, 7 October 2012 at 17:06:31 UTC, Joseph Rushton
Wakeling wrote:
> On 10/07/2012 10:55 AM, Russel Winder wrote:
>> Why only PostgreSQL. Shouldn't it also work with MySQL,
>> Oracle, DB2,
>> PervasiveSQL, SQLite3, etc.?
>
> I don't have sufficient experience with SQL to be able to
> really make a judgement here, but is there a case for a std.sql
> or std.db that would provide a uniform D interface to the
> arbitrary DB of choice?
>
> Perhaps better as something in Deimos rather than Phobos, as I
> imagine it would bring in a bunch of external dependencies that
> the standard library shouldn't really have.  Am I right that
> there's something in Adam Ruppe's web modules that's heading in
> this direction?

There was a std.database proposal from Steve Teale, but it
appears to have died.

http://prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?ReviewQueue

It could work like in other languages with OO support.

Everything is interface based and it is up to the respective
driver to provide proper implementations. Those implementations
can be provided either as static or dynamic libraries.

The important thing are interfaces, as such you're not bringing
external dependencies. Unless the D community decides to have the
drivers as part of the language (comes with batteries kind of
thing).

--
Paulo