core.simd woes

F i L witte2008 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 16:38:57 PDT 2012

Iain Buclaw wrote:
> I'm refusing to implement any intrinsic that is tied to a
> specific architecture.

I see. So the __builtin_ia32_***() functions in gcc.builtins are
architecture agnostic? I couldn't find much documentation about
them on the web. Do you have any references you could pass on?

I guess it makes sense to just make std.simd the lib everyone
uses for a "base-line" support of SIMD and let DMD do what it
wants with it's core.simd lib. It sounds like gcc.builtins is
just a layer above core.simd anyways. Although now it seems that
DMD's std.simd will need a bunch of 'static if (architectureX) {
... }' for every GDC builtin... wounder if later that shouldn't
be moved to (and standerized) a 'core.builtins' module or
something.

Thanks for the explanation.