core.simd woes

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 00:55:27 PDT 2012

On 9 October 2012 02:52, David Nadlinger <see at klickverbot.at> wrote:

>  Is core.simd designed to really never be used and Manu's std.simd is
>> really the starting place for libraries? (I believe I remember him
>> mentioning that)
>>

> With all due respect to Walter, core.simd isn't really "designed" much at
> all, or at least this isn't visible in its current state – it rather seems
> like a quick hack to get some basic SIMD code working with DMD (but beware
> of ICEs).
>
> Walter, if you are following this thread, do you have any plans for SIMD
> on non-x86 platforms?

DMD doesn't support non-x86 platforms... What DMD offer's is fine, since it
all needs to be collated anyway; GDC/LDC don't agree on intrinsics either.
I already support ARM and did some PPC experiments in std.simd. I just use
the intrinsics that gdc/ldc provide, that's perfectly fine.

As said in my prior post, I think std.simd.sse, std.simd.neon, and friends,
might all be a valuable addition. But we'll need to see about the codegen
after it unravels a bunch of wrappers...