[OT] Re: Windows DLLs and TLS

Rainer Schuetze r.sagitario at gmx.de
Tue Oct 9 11:43:15 PDT 2012

On 10/9/2012 6:59 PM, Denis Shelomovskij wrote:
> 09.10.2012 0:51, Rainer Schuetze пишет:

>>> Here you are! Just want to mention that I'm currently managed to publish
>>> my (continuation of your) TLS fix I did half a year before. It will
>>> finally solve this XP/Sever 2003 problem. It is available here but isn't
>>> finished now (fill be in few days):
>>> https://github.com/denis-sh/hooking/tree/master/tlsfixer
>>
>> Will this fix both issues (not being able to unload and that imperfect
>> simulation of DLL_THREAD_ATTACH for existing threads)? That would be
>> very cool.
>>

> Unloading is fixed. I can't remember any problems with DLL_THREAD_ATTACH
> (but it was half year ago so I can miss something I did that time), can
> you concretize the problem?

What I meant is the "impersonation" of existing threads from the thread
that executes DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH to run the thread-local static
constructors. Even though the TLS pointers are switched, they are still
executed in the context of the current thread. Looking it up again, this
is not an XP problem, those threads don't get a DLL_THREAD_ATTACH
callback on newer systems aswell.

So I guess we will have to live with possible issues, but you are
supposed to not really do a lot in DllMain anyway.