GC statistics

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 11 20:38:04 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, 10 October 2012 at 19:35:33 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> This is mostly for GC experts out there - what statistics are
> needed and useful, yet not too expensive to collect?
>
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/druntime/pull/236
>

> Andrei

I'd like to see mark, sweep and page-freeing time be counted
separately so that if overall GC performance is slow, the user
can identify where the bottleneck is.  For example, mark time
will be slow if there's a lot of total memory to be scanned.
Sweep time will be slow if there are a lot of blocks allocated,
even if they're all small.  I'm not sure if this is feasible,
though, because it assumes that the GC implementation is
mark-sweep.  I guess we could name the subcategories something
more generic like mark and process marks.