Explicit TCE

Tyler Jameson Little beatgammit at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 10:52:29 PDT 2012

> I'm a big fan of explicit, guaranteed TCE.
>
> However, the primary problem with this approach is a really
> mundane one: The major compiler back ends (GCC and LLVM) don't
> have any means of guaranteeing TCE...

Ugh... I thought that might be a problem.

I don't know too much about GCC/LLVM, but I saw 'tailcallelim'
for LLVM:

http://llvm.org/docs/Passes.html#tailcallelim

GCC seems to support it in 4.x:

arxiv.org/pdf/1109.4048

These look promising, so I wouldn't completely rule out the
possibility of doing it in GCC/LLVM.  Perhaps someone more
knowledgeable about GCC/LLVM could comment? I would really like
to see D have this feature (then I can stop daydreaming about
LISP).