Feature request: enum init shouldn't create a new enumeration

Tommi tommitissari at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 14 00:16:28 PDT 2012

On Sunday, 14 October 2012 at 06:51:48 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> And honestly, declaring a specific init value for an enum is a
> stupid idea.

I think that declaring a specific *valid* init value for an enum
has no purpose. But declaring a specific *invalid* init value, to
which the enum initializes to by default, is a very good idea.
The reason for why it's a good idea, is exactly the same as why
default-initializing floating point variables to NaN is a good
idea. Others have reasoned about that enough, thus I don't have
to.

wrote:
> ... It's going to screw with all kinds of stuff.

True, it would break code.