core.simd woes

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Oct 14 08:28:59 PDT 2012

On 10/8/2012 4:52 PM, David Nadlinger wrote:
 > With all due respect to Walter, core.simd isn't really "designed" much at all,
 > or at least this isn't visible in its current state – it rather seems like a
 > quick hack to get some basic SIMD code working with DMD (but beware of ICEs).

That is correct. I have little experience with SIMD on x86, and none on other
platforms. I'm not in a good position to do a portable and useful design. I was
mainly interested in providing a very low level method for a more useful design
that could be layered over it.

 > Walter, if you are following this thread, do you have any plans for SIMD on
 > non-x86 platforms?

I'm going to leave that up to those who are doing non-x86 platforms for now.