D seems interesting, but...

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Oct 14 21:42:56 PDT 2012

On Sunday, October 14, 2012 21:39:42 H. S. Teoh wrote:
> This looks like what happens if you try to use the latest dmd release
> with an old version of Phobos, perhaps installed along with gdc.
>
> Whoever's doing the .deb packaging really should add a versioned
> Depends: field to debian/control so that it will require installation of
> the correct version of Phobos, or, at the very least, refuse to install
> if such is not available.

At this point, it's a bad idea to use any version of druntime or Phobos which
doesn't match exactly with the version of dmd that you're using. It's not as
bad as it used to be, but there are still plenty of cases where a language
change (be it a bug fix or added feature or whatever) makes it so that older
versions of Phobos won't compile, or the latest Phobos ends up needing the
latest dmd. I wouldn't advise anyone to use versions of them that don't all
match.

- Jonathan M Davis